This comforting bowl of gluten free Thai green coconut curry can be made vegetarian or with chicken from scratch and is ready in under 30 minutes. This is often less than the time it takes to get it delivered from my local Thai restaurant and so much more delicious and nutritious.
Believe me when I say that the lemongrass, herbs and lime make this curry smell and taste so much better than anything you get in a restaurant!
Love Asian cuisine simply because it is flavorful and an easy way to up the vegetable intake without feeling like a chore. I often make this soupy curry in winters as a nice hot comfort meal. For a Paleo or Whole30 version, you can eliminate rice and have it over cauliflower rice (click here for recipe), zucchini or sweet potato noodles. It is so so good!
The basics steps of this Thai green coconut curry are quite simple and you can customize it many different ways.
- Pick your protein
- Pick your vegetables
- Make the curry paste
- Throw it all in the pot with coconut milk and viola!
When it comes to taste and nutrition, it is important to get high quality ingredients. If you’re new to Asian cuisine, this is a simple recipe and all ingredients are easily available at a local grocery store. Here’s a link to the fish sauce and coconut milk I use to make my curry. And if you can’t find fresh lemongrass, here’s lemongrass paste that you can also use.
Thai Green Coconut Curry – Made from Scratch
Quick and flavorful Thai green coconut curry, ready in 25 minutes.
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (optional. Alternatively, you can use salt. )
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ red onion (sliced)
- 1 zucchini (cut into chunks)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into chunks)
- 1 cup swiss chard (or any greens e.g. spinach )
- 1 bunch cilantro (leaves and stalks)
- 1 bunch basil (leaves only)
- 1 lime
- 1 stalk lemongrass (fresh, cut into pieces. You can also use buy lemongrass paste. )
- 1 (2 inch) ginger (peeled and sliced)
- 1 serrano chili pepper (de-seeded. Or any hot chili pepper.)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lb tofu (or chicken)
In a pan, add coconut oil and fry the onion slices over medium heat until translucent. Will take about 8-10 minutes.
In the meantime, add basil leaves, cilantro (stalks and leaves), serrano chili pepper, ginger, garlic and lemongrass stalk pieces to a blender. Add ½ cup water and blend to a paste.
Add the tofu or chicken to the pan and fry for another 6-8 minutes.
Add the curry paste to the pot. Fry for a minute.
Add all the vegetables to the pot.
Add coconut milk.
Add 3/4 cup of water to the pot and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
Add fish sauce and juice of 1 lime and turn it off.
Enjoy over some cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, rice, or quinoa.
- Feel free to use any vegetables of your choice. Just make sure that you allow enough time to cook.
- Fish sauce is quite salty, so make sure to taste first if you choose to add additional salt.
Did you make this curry? We’d love to hear how it turned out. Leave us a comment below.
When you make this curry post a picture on social media and use the hashtag #dialiving for a chance to be featured!