Seasonal eating in winters can become dreary and boring as the cold weather drags on. This is a simple and fresh take on winter vegetables. This Kale Slaw is delicious and super versatile. This is one of my favorite winter slaw, and I love to add this to my wraps, sandwiches, nourish bowls and soups. It’s not just healthy, it tastes really good and goes with everything.
This super simple and delicious recipe is packed with nutrition and is vegan, gluten free, paleo. You can make this as part of weekly meal prep as it keeps in the fridge for about 3-4 days (if there’s any left over).
Both kale and cabbage are from the cruciferous family of vegetables. They are nutrient dense and contain fiber, antioxidants, calcium, vitamins C and K, iron and wide range of other nutrients as part of a healthy diet. And, what better way to get a complete hit of nutrition than this shredded goodness.
Best Kale Slaw with Grilled Lemon Vinaigrette
A Nourishing Winter Slaw
- 1 bunch Kale (shredded)
- 1/4 Red onion (finely sliced)
- 1/2 Fennel bulb (finely sliced)
- 1/3 Purple Cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1/4 cup parsley (flat leaf)
- 3 tbsp Pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil (extra virgin)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes (or to taste)
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
Mix all the vegetables in a bowl.
Mince 1 garlic clove and add some olive oil to it.
Cut a lemon in half (I’m using Meyer lemon today), and grill in a pan for about 3 min over medium heat. This brings out the flavor and sweetness in lemons. Once the lemon is caramelized, let it cool down, and then add to the dressing. Add salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes and stir everything well.
Pour the dressing over the salad.
Massage it well with your hands. Kale gets more tender and easier to digest if you massage it.
- Swap: You can swap out garlic for some grainy mustard in your dressing.
- Uses: This salad goes very well in your wraps, sandwiches, nourish bowls, soups and tacos.
- Keeps for about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Did you make this salad? Leave a comment below or share your photo on Instagram and tag #dialiving.