As a child, growing up in Pakistan, we used to visit my grandparents every summer. They lived about 3 hours away from us in a small town. One of my most fond memory of going to see them was a glass of fresh almond milk that my grandmother used to make to cool us down in sweltering heat.
I’ve been making my own almond milk for years. Homemade almond milk tastes so much better than any store bought one. It’s one of the yummiest and easiest things to make especially if you’re beginning to take control of what goes in your body. Store bought almond milks have preservatives and emulsifiers and not many almonds. Not to mention, this tastes so so good in your oatmeal, granola, smoothies and lattes.
Here’s an easy peasy recipe…
- 1 cup raw almonds (soaked in filtered water overnight)
- 5 cups filtered water
- 1 date (pitted)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- After the almonds have soaked overnight, drain and rinse them.
- Place the almonds and pitted date in your Vitamix along with 5 cups of filtered water
- Blend on high for 2 minutes
- Strain the almond milk through a nut-milk bag
- Add vanilla
- Pour the almond milk into an airtight glass jug and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Enjoy in smoothies, granola, oatmeal or plain with lots of ice!